Sunday, September 21, 2008

Foreward

As I step into the ether of the internet and open my soul to the universe I have no pretense that others will find my ponderings unique or profound - but likely common. My purpose is first, the "therapy" it offers me to express myself in written word, second, the hope that my commonness and insights into an ordinary life may inspire others who, like me, are trying to be a bit more uncommon.

Whether in my role as a father and husband, as a follower of Christ, as a fellow-citizen and neighbor, or in my career, I am hoping to better find my way, balance my efforts, and make a difference. The difference I seek is not to leave a legacy or discover power or prestige, but to simply leave this place a little better than I found it, to make life a bit more joyful for those whom with I walk my daily walk.

My motive is simple. God has blessed and watched over me and given me all that I have. The gratitude that I feel has planted a yearning and love of God and my fellowmen. This love of God and fellowmen is manifest in how I treat others - or not.

My simple prayer is that I may be the answer to others' prayers, that I may have the courage and faith to act, and knowledge when and how to act. The opportunities are endless, yet they are fleeting.

Perhaps the greatest challenge in pursuing these opportunities is to determine or prioritize when and how to act. I recognize, for example, in my volunteer work with refugees, that there is much to do and circumstances are often bleak and even hopeless. However, my motto is: "I can't do it all, but I can do something." With this perspective I am not paralyzed with inaction, yet not overwhelmed because I may not appear to be making a difference.

I also know that focus on pursuits, no matter how noble they may be, that draw me away from my primary responsibilities as a father and husband, are undertakings that may sacrifice my family for a lesser good. Should I prioritize or can I integrate? And so goes the dilemma...

No comments: